Saturday, June 28, 2008

Some Random Observations

1) I wonder why people here never developed the habit of cleaning their tables themselves at fast food restaurants after they've finished their meal? Even when the cleaners (who often time are older folks mind you) are busy, the patrons would rather sit on their hands and wait till they come and clean the tables for them. Ok so it's understandable if the table needs a real good wipe down, but if not? Then what about those cleaners themselves? Why do they make such a big deal when someone asks them to help clean their table? It's their job isn't it? I've noticed cleaners in a few places like hawker centres and food courts acting like this. Maybe they think people are looking down on them and treating them like low class people. But I'm sure most often than not, they just need their tables cleaned.

2) For some reason, I can't help and stare when westerners go to supermarkets and tell the cashiers to not bag their groceries and also when I walk by westerners who carry their groceries in several reusable cloth bags. I'm sure there are asians who do it too, but I mostly see westerners. I know we're supposed to use less plastic bags, but I like having a stash of supermarket plastic bags for the rubbish bins around the house and as for the small bags, I like to keep it beside the sink to throw scraps of food or small items so I can throw it down the garbage chute periodically when it fills up. I do like having garbage chutes in the house without needing to walk outside my house to throw the rubbish away - very convenient. And no need to assign rubbish duty on who should wheel out the stinky rubbish bins like in Brissy.

On the topic of recycling, I still try to recycle as much as I can here. I was rather ashamed one time when a friend at my house saw something that could've been recycled go into my rubbish bin. Since then I've made a conscious effort to recycle as much stuff as I can, and I'm happy to say Edmund's gotten into it too. It's also good that we have recycling bags that are collected every 2 weeks (every week would b better tho) and it's good to see big recycling bins around the area. A long time ago a lecturer told us that it costs more to recycle materials, dunno if it's true or not, but at least we're saving Gaia right?

3) In Singapore (and Malaysia and Indonesia) we've got people who help fill up our petrol at the petrol stations. With petrol prices soaring, I wonder if these people were 'done away' with, would it make any difference to the petrol prices? Save on their salaries and pass on the savings to us perhaps? I know it's creating employment (especially since the attendants are usually older folks), but we're definitely feeling the pinch of driving a car in Singapore. Yes yes, I know I just talked about recycling, but having a car when you have a child is way more convenient.

4) On the subject of cars, I have to admit that I'm rather scared to drive in Singapore. I feel that people here drive faster (not adhering to the speed limits), the roads are narrower (including carparks) and there's a blatant disregard on using their signals. After being here for close to 6 years and seeing my fil, bil, and hubby all having had car accidents (be it minor and not their fault), it's really put me off driving entirely.



No comments:

Post a Comment