Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Salted Egg Potato Chips (Recipe)


I was introduced to Salted Egg Potato Chips awhile ago. One of Hubby's friends bought it for us to try and I was instantly hooked. To be honest I love anything that's covered with Salted Eggs. When you go to a Chinese restaurant in Singapore, most often than not they will have something on the menu along the lines of Salted Egg Prawns, Crab, Squid, chicken, etc. It's usually a deep fried protein which is then smothered in a rich velvety sauce made from Salted Egg Yolks and other ingredients including Milk Powder or Evaporated Milk for a saucier consistency, Chilli Padi and Curry Leaves. These are the basic ingredients.

Now I'm not saying I'm an expert in cooking these kinds of dishes, Chinese food is kind of my weakness and I often tweak recipes to adjust to my taste. But that's what cooking is all about!

So without further ado, below is my recipe for Salted Egg Potato Chips:

We need 1 packet of Potato Chips weighing 150-200g. You can use Original Flavour or Hot&Spicy, ridged or thin cut or hand cooked potato chips. It's up to you! Although I do feel that ridged cut chips will have the ability to hold the seasonings better. You can also try your hand at frying your own potato chips, but I hate deep frying, not because I'm health conscious per se but because it's too hot to be deep frying and I don't like having an oily kitchen.

(Side note: I didn't really like this packet of chips so much, felt the cut was too thick).


Then we need the second most important ingredient, which is of course the Salted Egg Yolks. For me, I'm not about to go buy some Salted Duck Eggs, steam them and then mash up the egg yolks. Why? Because I believe you have to use several eggs in order to get a few tablespoons of mashed up egg yolks. For this purpose of coating potato chips, I think a dry powder version works better too since you don't want to make your crispy potato chips soggy.

This ingredient unfortunately can't be found easily. I googled it and this is where you can buy them from in Singapore:

1) Pasir Panjang Wholesale Center and purchase from the following store: Hsin Lian Fa Trading Co14 Wholesale Centre, Singapore 110014 

2) Tung San Food Industries Pte Ltd at:
a. Ang Mo Kio Branch
Blk 554 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 10, #01-2034, Singapore 560554
b. Bedok Branch
Blk 539A Bedok North Street 3, #01-475, Singapore 461539


I got mine from the Ang Mo Kio store. It is from the "Chef's" series by Knorr, and I reckon this is what the chefs in restaurants and hotels use. It saves them time and saves them ingredients too, just think about what would they have done with all the Salted Egg Whites when a recipe calls for 8 egg yolks??

Next you need Curry Leaves. These leaves are very fragrant and you should be able to find these easily in Singapore supermarkets and if you're overseas, in an Asian grocery store. I've seen Jamie Oliver use these many times, so I know they're at least available in London :P You just need a handful, if you buy a whole packet, just chuck it in the freezer and they're good for months! And unlike other herbs like basil etc, these leaves don't change structure much even after freezing them. They're quite hardy.
from my frozen stash
Add a dash of Onion Powder for extra flavour if you have. If you don't have on hand, that's fine. Or you can even use Garlic Powder. Just don't go overboard.

Add a teaspoon of Milk Powder. I know it sounds strange but it makes the dish. It gives it that creamy taste. For this chips recipe, don't use evaporated milk like you would if you were making Salted Egg Prawns or something. It's just gonna make your chips soggy! Don't say I didn't warn you! If you don't want to buy a whole packet of milk powder from the supermarket, you can get a small bottle like mine from a baking store such as Phoon Huat. Useful for making breads too.


You can also add some chilli padi. This time I didn't use any since my chips were Hot&Spicy flavour. If you're using, then just slice them up finely. Actually you can also use Chilli Powder or Chilli Flakes too. Add a teaspoon of sugar to sweeten it and bring out the creaminess.

How to Cook It:
  • In a bowl, mix up all your dry ingredients, another words everything except curry leaves and chilli padi. If you're using chilli powder or flakes, then mix them together with the dry stuff.
  • In a heated frying pan or wok, add a tablespoon of butter, swirl it around till it melts and add the curry leaves and stir fry till fragrant. Add optional chilli.
  • Add the chips into the pan and stir it around. 
  • Sprinkle the dry mixture all over and give it a good stir and toss (if you know how to!). At this point if your temperature is on full ball, then you should lower it to medium as salted eggs burn really fast! (did you know that?)
  • Once it's taken on some colour, and everything looks nice and golden brown and coated turn off the heat and place the chips on a plate or a cookie sheet to cool down and crisp back up.
  • And enjoy!

If you'd like to see the live demo in my own kitchen, see the video below.


♥ Please Subscribe to our Channel! ♥

♥ Follow MizReeney on Instagram! ♥

♥ Read MizReeney's Blog! ♥

♥ Like our Facebook Page! ♥

18 comments:

  1. Hi can this be stored in a container or smth?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes this stores pretty well in an airtight container.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for ur reply ! Will it turn soggy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope mine was ok If I remember correctly.

      Delete
    2. Hihi i tried making it but it tasted really weird. Doesn't taste like salted egg at all. Is thr anything i might have done wrongly?

      Delete
  4. Im not sure. It is a dehydrated salted egg so maybe you're not used to the flavour?

    ReplyDelete
  5. how much is the salted egg yolk powder?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there is there a specific amount of powder i need to put?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. The more u put in the stronger the taste.

      Delete
  7. You may like to experiment with Salted Egg Fish Skin. I chanced upon it when colleagues kindly placed a jar at the work pantry. I thought the fish skin were more addictive than the chips. Currently the only one I knew selling them is Irvin's.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi I am just curious, if in case you are making a bunch of this chips for some occasion, would it be better to use the salted egg powder or make the sauce from scratch? I haven't tried the powder, is the taste same with the sauce?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Harold,

      I'd definitely say use the powder because the sauce is just gonna make your chips all soggy. It doesn't taste the same as the sauce as some people have commented. So if you want I suppose you can just make a dipping sauce for it. The powder is also made from chicken eggs rather than duck eggs.

      Delete
  9. hi thanks for the tutorial. Do you think i can just use the knorr product on, say freshly fried fries? will it work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean sprinkle it all over, give it a toss or two, and serve right away?

      Delete
    2. Yes I think that would work too because the egg powder is already cooked anyway.

      Delete