Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Become a Citizen or be forced to lose your PR?!

By now most people in Singapore would've heard about the speech made by a certain Senior Minister. If you haven't, have a read about it here http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC100908-0000069/A-good-idea,-or-maybe-not-,,,

In all honesty, in my 7 years of PR I have never once had the inkling of wanting to convert to Citizenship because I don't want to lose my Australian Citizenship. I don't see why I should when there is always the possibility of me living back in oz. Perhaps if I had no intention to ever return I would gladly give it up, but not right now and I don't foresee myself changing that mindset in the near future. Truthfully I can't think of any good reason right now, except for those occasional cash incentives given once in a while which I'm ok to go without. Concessions when you go to the polyclinics and hospitals, but most of the time I go to private clinic for treatment anyway and I'm not really too concerned about voting in elections either.

Is Singapore really freaking out about not having enough citizens to populate the country? How can you possibly force anyone to become a citizen of a country whom they may not even be loyal to?

It almost makes me feel unwelcome now after all these years of trying to fit in. My husband and child are citizens, so will they ask me to become one? Maybe, maybe not since I pretty much don't have anything to contribute to the country....LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment