Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Customer Service desks needed at local supermarkets

I realise not a lot of suburban supermarkets like NTUC Fairprice and Cold Storage have a Customer Service desk where customers can go and enquire about something or requests for exchanges or refunds. So it is rather inconvenient when you need to do either of the above and you don't know who to talk to and end up having to join the checkout Q and hold up the other people trying to checkout behind you. Seems only the big hypermarkets like Carrefour, Giant and the Fairprice at AMK Hub have a separate Customer Service desk.

Today when we went to Cold Storage at Kovan Mall, I had bought something that had been marked down and I guess unfortunately the mark down sticker must've fallen off. So after hubby had paid the stuff, we walked away from the supermarket and I went over the receipt to check if everything was correct since I wasn't with him at the checkout. When I realised that we had been charged the full price of the item ($2.15 difference) I made him go back to get a refund. I know it's not much money, but the way I see it is, I wouldn't have bought the item if it hadn't been marked down in the first place. We went back into the supermarket to double check and sure enough all of the same item had a markdown sticker on it and I was still sure that when I picked up the item to put in the basket it too had a markdown sticker. So we joined back to the Q of the cashier that served us earlier. We told her of the situation and you know what, she made us feel like we were cheapskates for trying to get our money back. Furthermore she made it feel like we were troubling her so much and she even proceeded to make it seem like we were stupid by saying, 'next time you have to get the item with the markdown sticker or else you don't get markdown price'. Like hello! We did that in the first place, we're not stupid! She still wasn't convinced that we were entitled to the markdown price.

Anyway, eventually she went to find a superior to help her (and so we held up the Q of people behind us). The superior then came over and we had to go through the whole explanation again to her and even she treated us with suspicion. It's not like we're trying to shoplift or cheat them! Eventually she just offered us to take 2 of the item to even it out so she wouldn't have to write out a credit note for the $2.15. We reluctantly agreed because we understood that it was troublesome to write a credit note for a measly $2.15. Still, what I'm saying is I'm not trying to be a cheapskate, I was just trying to stand my ground and I really feel that the supermarkets here still have a long way to go in providing proper Customer Service. I don't even know if we can exchange or return stuff here at the supermarket if we change our minds. My Mum was telling me that at Woolies in oz, if they don't charge you the right price for an item, they will give it to you for free.

On a side note, I am now reading all the labels of my food products to see where the stuff is made from. Steering away from all China made food products as much as I possibly can just to be on the safe side. I do feel sorry for the bad rap China's getting on their food safety, I wonder if that trust will ever be able to be rebuilt.


No comments:

Post a Comment