Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Crispy Prawns and Frogs Leg with Cereal (Mai Pian Xia)

I think this is a Singaporean dish (?), it's a popular menu item in all seafood restaurants and even those that sell cooked dishes at hawker centres. I really love the cereal oats, i love having it sprinkled on my rice. But this dish it seems isn't for everyone because when I had friends in town last time, they didn't enjoy this dish as much as we did. Maybe it's an acquired taste. I find it a lot easier to just buy the premix which already has the oats, creamer, sugar, etc in it. All you need to do is fry the prawns and frogs leg (or whatever other meat you want to use), then chop up some chilli padi (bird's eye chilies) and curry leaves and stir fry it in some butter, add the packet mix and the cooked prawns and voila your dish is done.

Incase you didn't know, curry leaves are good for you. They're one of the richest sources of micronutrients, antioxidants, vitamins (carotene, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, folic acid & vitamin C), calcium, iron, phosphorus, protein, fat, carbohydrates, energy, soluble & insoluble fibre. Usually I buy a bag of curry leaves and put them in the freezer and they can last there for many many months (I do the same with kaffir lime leaves and fresh red chillies).


No comments:

Post a Comment