Saturday, October 15, 2016

Pressure Cooked Mentaiko Pasta

I love my pressure cooker more and more these days. I can't believe that I used to be so scared of it in the past. Scared that it would suddenly explode. But with regular use, that fear is fading.

Recently online I've seen lots of people cooking pasta in the pressure cooker, from raw to finish taking less than 10minutes. Now that's my kind of cooking. So I gave it a go.

When cooking with spaghetti, you have two options, 1. you can break the pasta in half so you can fit it into the pressure cooker pot or 2. you can presoak the pasta for about 5-10 minutes in room temperature water just to slightly soften so that you can put it in whole into the pot. I don't soak it until completely bendy, but enough so that it can slightly bend allowing you to push the pasta down a bit so it is below the rim.

For this simple meal I used prepackaged Mentaiko Japanese Cream Sauce which I bought from Daiso. This is enough only for one serving, so I added two. It's quite thick, so once I added the sauce to the pasta that was in the pot, I added some water to the pasta sauce pouch, gave it a swirl to mix in the left over sauce and added it to the pot.


Once I closed the lid on my Philips Pressure Cooker, I made sure the valve was at Seal and pressed the Steam/Stew mode and adjusted the Keep Pressure Time to 6 minutes and pressed Start.

After the 6 minutes is done, I very carefully released the pressure manually instead of waiting for the cooker to do it automatically. I did this because I don't want the pasta to be over cooked. It's best to check the pasta first and if you need more cooking time then you can do so later after you'e checked the pasta. I always release the pressure a bit at a time, with a long spatula I just push the valve knob thing a bit at a time, once the pressure is more than half released then I push it all the way to finish releasing. You will know when it's done when the metal pin on the lid drops, usually you can also hear it drop.

Carefully open the lid and stir the pasta around. My pasta was delightfully al dente. The sauce did dry up though so I added a splash of water. I used the pasta soaking water as that was starchy. I added some deshelled prawns to the pot and closed the lid turned the valve to Bake and used the Bake function for about 2 minutes just to cook the prawns. And then it's done!


You can leave it as it is at this stage, maybe add a bit of freshly ground black pepper. Or if you have some frozen Mentaiko like I did, add some into it. The more the better I say!

This big frozen packet of mentaiko was bough from Big Box supermarket at Jurong East (Singapore). For only around $14 for 500g! That's cheap!
Give the pasta a stir and if you want, add some olive oil to it. And serve while hot! I hope you've enjoyed this recipe, please remember to give credit and link to my website if you decide to share this recipe and don't forget to check out my other Social Media links on the right or below and Follow and Subscribe to our Channels :)


♥ Please Subscribe to our Channel! ♥

♥ Follow MizReeney on Instagram! ♥

♥ Like our Facebook Page! ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment