Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies (Recipe)

These cookies in my opinion taste a bit like Subway cookies, soft and slightly chewy. I do prefer the chewy type of cookie, but I think I prefer one that is slightly crunchy on the outside and soft in the middle.

But these cookies are incredibly easy to make and would probably be great as an ice cream sandwich! I used a recipe from my Martha Stewart's Cookies book and only had to tweak the amount of salt put in the batter. The original recipe mentions 1 tspn of coarse salt, but this is too salty for my taste...though I'm not sure if it's because I had used fine salt rather than coarse salt hence it became overly salty. Anyway next time I make it I will just use 1/2 tspn of salt instead. Hmm...I also just had a realisation that I may have used salted butter, so maybe hence the noticeable salty taste...oops.

On a side note, this is a pretty great book for your baking collection. Worth the buy.

Lots of pretty cookies in the book, pun not intended :p Nobody wants to see her 'cookies' do they?! LOL!

2 1/4 cups plain flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature (tip: if you are making cookies on the spur of the moment and your butter is rock hard from the fridge, just stick it in a bowl in the microwave for 15seconds on high. You don't want it to totally melt, but just soften).
1/2 cup granulated sugar (I think more specifically this should be fine grain sugar too, like caster sugar. Because I tried using raw sugar to top up my brown sugar since I had run out and the result was I could taste the raw sugar and was annoyed at the extra crunch of the sugar in my cookie)
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 tspn coarse salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups chocolate chips (2 cups to me seemed quite a lot, so go with your preference, I think 1.5 cups is plenty)

Preheat oven to 175C. Whisk together flour and baking soda in a bowl.
Put butter and sugars in a bowl and use an electric mixer to mix until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
Reduce speed to low, add salt, vanilla and eggs. Then once blended, mix in flour mixture. I'm assuming they had meant use the mixer, but because my electric handheld mixer only comes with a whisking attachment, not a paddle attachment, it was very hard to mix the dry and wet mixture together. Might be easier to use a spatula or something. Then stir in the chocolate chips.
Once it's all mixed in, line a baking pan with baking paper and drop spoonfuls of the mixture onto it. They do spread quite a bit, so either don't heap too much batter or make sure there's adequate space between cookies. I love the size of subway cookies and that was what I was aiming for.

Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes, depending on the thickness of your cookies. Thicker and bigger cookies need longer baking time. Keep an eye on the cookies, they do cook and brown quite fast. You can rotate them halfway and if you have multiple pans cooking at the same time, you can rotate them, top to bottom.

The first pan I made was nice and flat, I heaped one ice cream scoop size onto the tray and they really expanded. My 30x40cm tray only fit 9 of them.Hubby said these were too soft. He preferred the ones below that I cooked a bit longer and was firmer. 

How do they look so even you might ask? Well I baked them on my Wilton whoopie pie pan. First time using them and I didn't know how much to fill them, and looks like I overfilled them a little. They rose quite high so was a bit thick...like a whoopie pie you might say :p I cooked these for 12mins at first, but they were still too soft, so after I took them out of the pan I put them on my other baking tray and cooked them for a further 2 mins, so in total I guess about 14mins.

This is the big flat ones, see how soft they are, when you hold it with one hand, it's literally flexible. But still delish to eat :)

No comments:

Post a Comment