Monday, June 8, 2009

Soto Betawi - Indonesian Beef Soup

Indonesia has a lot of different kinds of 'Soto' and they're all generally pretty good including this delicious one called Soto Betawi. It's a creamy soup made up of lots of spices (as most indonesian foods go), thickened or made creamy with the addition of coconut milk or for a healthier and just as good version Evaporated Milk. I have no idea how to make it from scratch altho I'm pretty sure I have it in one of my cookbooks. But why bother when I can just buy the premixed spice paste from Munik right? It's just like buying ready made Thai Curry Paste, makes life much easier for the busy cook :)

The meats in this soup are usually Tripe, Tendon, and Beef, all cut up in little pieces. To serve you add some spring onions, some diced tomatoes, kecap manis (sweet soy sauce), Fried Onions, some friend Emping (or Belinjo crackers), extra chilli, a dash of lime and rice on the side (or as I prefer it inside the soup).

Even Caelyn loves this and I also found out that she likes tripe!

Bay Leaves

Boiling the meats until tender. This step would be faster if you have a pressure or themal cooker.

No comments:

Post a Comment