Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Creamed Smoked Roe Spaghetti

There is a Japanese type of pasta that uses Mentaiko (marinated roe) as its sauce. A while ago my Mum bought this ready made Mentaiko sauce from Takashimaya and it was pretty good, but was pretty expensive for a pasta sauce I thought, but I guess it is from Japan. Anyway as I was walking around Ikea with my friend, she recommended me to try the Creamed Smoked Roe in a tube in the fridge of the food section of Ikea. She told me her husband loves the stuff and so I thought I'd give it a try. I tried it on some Meiji crackers and she was right they were pretty good.

For some reason I decided to experiment and try adding it to some cooked spaghetti. I added some olive oil and the cooking water to loosen up the sauce, added some black pepper, shredded seaweed and topped with some Red Lumpfish Roe that I also got from Ikea. It was soooo delish, I scoffed it down within minutes! And it tasted similar to the Japanese one that my Mum bought and cheaper too. I cooked it for hubby and surprisingly he said it tasted like Carbonara sauce. That's interesting. I guess the taste is a bit similar because Carbonara is egg based and there's also smoky bacon in it. So the smoky eggness of the Creamed Smoked Roe tastes similar. This is now one of my most favourite way to eat spaghetti.



After mixing


The tube of Creamed Smoked Roe from Ikea


Red Lumpfish Roe frm Ikea

No comments:

Post a Comment