Sunday, October 13, 2013

Second Attempt at Making French Macarons - SUCCESS!!

Since my last attempt at making macarons, I kept on thinking about trying my hands at them again. I trawled youtube and came across this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQbpeP-heEQ and thought the recipe seemed pretty straightforward and I liked the smaller recipe proportions. So if it didn't work out at least I wouldn't have wasted too much of my ingredients.

This time I ditched my silicone mat and went for baking paper as many sites had suggested is the best liner for making macarons. The last time I had also over mixed my batter, I couldn't control the flow of the batter when I tried to pipe it out. So this time I was very cautious and checked on the consistency of my 'lava' to make sure that it wouldn't be over mixed. And they worked!! I was over the moon and did a happy dance in my kitchen when I saw the macarons rising and showing their little 'feet'! I just couldn't stop smiling :)

After they were piped out, I let them stand for about half an hour to dry out. I was convinced they would never dry out in Singapore's humid weather. But to my surprise they did! And they dried out faster than I had expected, I thought I would've had to wait at least an hour. Some sites like Bravetart say it's not necessary to do this, but I think it wouldn't hurt to do it, seeing as it worked. 
This recipe only calls for a baking time of 12 minutes.

Well hello there "feet"!!

I don't know if you can see, but the macaron bases are a bit brown. I'm not sure if it was because they were cooked too long or it was my black baking pan? 



My Babies were beautiful!
Previously I had used Bravetart's recipe, which seems to be less sweet and you could taste the almond a bit more. I'm going to try it again and see if it gives the same results.

No comments:

Post a Comment